Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Campus Visit #4


...done and done!

I am so happy to announce the completion of my fourth and final campus visit! It has been wonderful to travel all over the U.S.; this is truly a beautiful country. But it is very nice to be done with the intense and hectic travel schedule. I am looking forward to giving my daughter and my students more of my attention.

So far I have received 2 job offers, one which I've already declined. I loved the school and location, but the Department seemed more interested in filling the position than in my scholarship. I want to be truly wanted for me, for what I have to offer, and for who I am. I am also committed to learning this lesson personally and professionally. They say that being on the job market is a lot like dating...

Nevertheless, visit #4 was to the school that I hope will be my future employer. The university is in the Midwest, massive (about 40,000 students), and well-respected. I had my most rigorous, challenging, and intellectually-stimulating interview process here. Imagine the room below full of PhD's firing questions for 40 minutes about my research and methodology while little-ol'-me stands at the podium trying to look calm!

Well, all that is behind me, but it does leave me with one question: given the number of horrible professors out there, how do people get a job at a university?! What do you all think? What are the traits of a good professor?

Tonight, I will celebrate with a good friend, and a group of Norwegians. (I promise to spill that story in a later post...).

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Aya said...

Sis,it's been awhile since visiting your blog and boy have I been missing out. You hair looks very nice. It has grown so much since I saw you last. Impressive!!!! No doubt God has a perfect plan for your future. Keep listening to and trusting in Him.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home