Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Thursday, July 10, 2008

In Was Just A Matter of Time...



You knew it was coming! Yes, my two-year anniversary with sisterlocks is finally upon me, as is the pony tail on my head. I actually bit this off a Norwegian girl I saw today. Hers was combined with a half up-do underneath to catch the hairs that were too short to make it into the pony. I have to say, I have been admiring the number of styles these Scandinavian gals have come up with, especially the ones who have shorter hair. They are quite clever at putting their hair up in all sorts of styles, but the messy bun or pony tail is a favorite. They often use hair accessories that I myself would not use (like skinny hair bands tied sort of 80s style around the forehead a la Nicole Richie, or lots of bobby pins in tousled hair). They are creative. At any rate, big bangs (cut straight across or swept to one side) help their short up-dos look either soft or edgy (depending). But they always look chic.



So, everyone says that the magic happens after the two-year mark. I say: Bring it on! If you don't believe in the "magic" of sisterlocks, compare these photos to my first few months! Admittedly, my hair has grown thicker (as opposed to just longer), and I am so happy for the decision to get sisterlocks!

BTW: I have never colored my hair before. Check the "natural" highlights!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger CardioBunny said...

That style is cute :)

And congrats on reaching your 2 year anniversary! It's always amazing to look back at earlier pictures and see how much your locks have changed.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Kandgoods said...

I heard the same thing about the 2 year "magic"...can't wait. Your hair looks lovely.

11:46 AM  
Blogger z said...

Congrats on your 2 year mark! Your locks are so beautiful and your natural color with the highlights is beautiful of course. Tell me more about this 2 year "magic" because the only thing i've heard was that after 1 year, you begin to see your locks grow and that's it. This 2 year thing is new to me and i've already had my locks for 1 yr 6 mo. so what should I expect? Fill me in please. :-)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Very cute! I like the messy ponytail. It looks like it was designed especially for Sisterlocks.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

Happy 2 hear locverary. I really like the ponytail on you. It is really cute. My eyes widened after looking at your early pictures compared to now. Wow!!! I'm so glad you paved the way for me and Lexus t get sisterlocks.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the ponytail!!!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

DewDrop: Many bloggers claim that the growth and most noticeable changes in the appearance of one's locks happens after the second year. I called it "magic" b/c it is often described as a sudden change. I don't suspect that I will wake up looking like a different person, but who knows ;-)

southerngirl, kandgoods, naturally sophia, aya, and meikmeika, thanks for the really fab complements and for checking out my progress!

4:53 PM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

Too cute! The messy pony/bun is my fave hairstyle! That's one of my posts sitting in draft waiting for me to add a picture...sigh...

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home