Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Campus Visit #1


(note to self: not a good angle for minimizing thighs...)

Greetings from somewhere in the South! I had my first of what will be several campus visits this week, so that means all your prayers, thoughts, and well-wishes for the MLA had a very positive impact on my first round of interviews! I had a great time at the conference and really enjoyed meeting the various search committees as well. Such a great time was had by all that most of the schools have invited me for the final round of interviews!

The best part of the campus visit is that the school really rolls out the red carpet for you! Nice hotels, flights, and the best restaurants in their town are their way of making an impression on their finalists. This hotel was only ok, but I had many fine meals and a great time being in the South.

Part of my speech made a critique of "colorblindness" and the idea that we are now a "post-racial" society. It was wonderful to see that Southerners had no such illusions...

Otherwise, the pictures you see here are of post-interview exhilaration! I was so content to be back in my room alone (with no one asking questions) that I forgot to take proper pictures in my suit and looking scholarly. These pictures also show what the snow can do even to an overnight Soft Spike set! I have had to abandon the perm rods I loved to use before. Those curls only last 10 minutes now...


Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger sunsail said...

Don't worry, it's the plaid. Glad everything is going so well for you. I hope you get the position you want!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thanks Sunsail! Right now I am wondering about what opportunities I have to work for the Obama administration!

11:03 PM  
Blogger z said...

Yes, anytime cold weather or rain is in town, expect your curls to drop fast! You look so great in your photos (quite photogenic if I must say) and your curls still look good despite losing some of them. They have a nice wispy look to them.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home