Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Nothing Like Sisterlocked Sistahs!




I got major encouragement and suport!

onyxcherry wrote:
"There are some advantages to having thin locks that Leighann atested to in a previous blog post. Do you have a Caruso Proset30 because you can create a quick curl in 15 minutes with this steam roller set that will not harm your sisterlocks."

tanya said:
"Hey lady. I hope you aren't giving up on the soft spikes. Too tight must be one of the top 2 commments I hear about soft spikes. Which is good if you want curls that will go the extra mile for several days."


(although I like the drama of the darker, top photo, the flash in the previous two allows you to see the changing texture of my locks after two months).
...and Brunsli added:
"Your dress is very pretty!"

Thanks for all the love y'all. I did try the Carusos yesterday. It turned out real cute (I think), but the curls didn't last that long. Admittedly, I only left them in for 15 minutes, and when I took them out I stretched out on the bed to watch the US Open. The really great thing about the Caruso/ionic steam system is that those curlers make my thin/limp hair look like it has volume and body (kinda like a 'Jonathan-hair' look for my baby sisterlocks...well, at least it felt like that :-)

And NO, I will never give up on the soft spikes! No matter what, I think they are so cool looking and they curl superbly (I just have to better monitor how long I leave them in, and how many locks I put on each curler). The soft spike curls also last a good two days, and as they fall during the third and fourth day, you can still achieve a nice look.

I must mention that I also really liked the dress I wore to that wedding. I bought it many moons ago (and pre-motherhood) while on a trip to Spain, and wore it for the first time to a beautiful wedding in Tuscany.





Finally, someone asked me (in person) about my eyebrows. Apart from much needed grooming, I sometimes lighten the color of brows for some added interest. The change is quite subtle, but it really softens the overall 'look' of the eye.

5 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Helga,

Your Caruso look is cute! Those things are addictive -- but why not? -- I'm sure the steam is good for our hair.

We should plan a Sisterlocks gathering in the Bay Area -- maybe late October?

Re eyebrows: I had my hair dyed once and my eyebrows done too. No one noticed my hair changed color! :(

11:18 PM  
Blogger brunsli said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Goodnapps said...

Hey Helga,

So glad you are not giving up on Soft spikes. I have to live vicariously through you all.
Very cute photos.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Maryee said...

I'll have to put the soft spiked curlers on my wishlist for my birthday/Christmas. Until then, I use the "make shift" curlers. Keep posting cool pics.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Helga,

What's your hair doing now? I can't really tell from the pics. Keep us posted!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home