Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Last Braid Job?



I know, I know. I really should not be looking at these old pictures, but I went to see the folks over the weekend and was very taken aback when my mom finally admitted that she missed me in the braids! I would never diss my mom publicly and I would never allow anyone to speak poorly about my family, but gee whiz, I was a little hurt. I think that if I weren't in such an awkward phase of the sisterlocking process I would have handled it better (or maybe she wouldn't have said it), but I'm not even too crazy about how the coif looks right now. Oh well. I am still committed to being less focused on what other people think about me (which is no small task, I'm telling you!).



I am still happy I made this decision, and this state of mind was confirmed by the fact that I also braided my mother's hair over the weekend. Now, I learned to braid my own hair because the cost of getting it done was exorbitant, I couldn't stand the lack of professionalism on the part of my braider, I hated feeling so dependent on someone else to take care of my hair, and I hated that I often had to risk my life in the neighborhood where my braider lived and worked (she is extremely talented, but I wanted to live to show off the new do!:) Anyhoo, my female family members closely watched to see how my braiding developed and I ended up giving them VERY inexpensive braid jobs (that would easily cost 500 bucks anywhere else...but it's family, y'know). So last weekend was my very last braid job I hope...don't worry, I will convince my mother yet to sisterlock her stuff too!


3 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

I relate to this post too... I always look at old photos. Now that I've had SLs about 2 1/2 years, my previous hairstyles look really strange.

1:00 AM  
Blogger brunsli said...

PS I admire your braiding talent. I bet it will translate into being able to maintain your roots well.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Maryee said...

I have some old photos in my blog and fotki account. It's good to see where we've come from. Besides, when my hair is as long as my braids "used" to be, then I'll really be showing some "before" and "afters".

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home