Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

LA Trip



I rolled down to SoCal to visit some good ol' friends of mine from my university days in LaLa Land. I love driving down the coast, and I love having my iPod at my side. Too bad all of the other unlucky drivers stuck in the LA traffic (on a Saturday no less) had to listen to me singing at the top of my lungs (what can I say, Midnite's "Bushman" penetrates deeply!).

After chilling for a few, we headed straight to Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles for dinner. Folks, you have not eaten until you've had their succulent breast and tasty waffle (mine with a side of cornbread). It is always the smartest purchase I make in LA.


We then thought that we'd try out the Hookah Cafe on Pico Blvd. None of us had any idea what we were doing, but the waiter made a real sweet blend for us that actually became too sweet after about 2 minutes! I'm not sure how people manage to do this for an hour, but we had a good laugh and an even better cough!




We were celebrating my friend's coming nuptials and my other friend's graduation (I was just celebrating a weekend off!). After the hookah and hacking, we went to a very swanky hotel in Santa Monica and shared some champagne to really celebrate in style. (We did have one celebrity sighting: the director Tim Burton was sitting to my right out of the frame of the photo below, of course). My friend gave us lockets as a way of saying 'thank you' for our friendship and support. I think that all brides should do something similar for their good gal friends who listen to them and advise them on their relationships (come to think of it, the groom should give us gifts too, especially if they realize that their wives will go to their good friends when they inevitably encounter conflict in the marriage:)


The following day we made a stop at the LA County Museum of Art, always a nice thing to do on a Sunday afternoon. There was a special David Hockney exhibit going on that was actually NOT that interesting, but ok. We met a very interesting woman who worked in the museum (a proud Puerto Rican woman who figured out that my good friend was also from the island based on 'attitude,' hair texture, and our conversation in the bathroom). She told us all about the famous Latin celebrities who visited the exhibit (precisely the kind of info. I am looking for!). We still had fun walking around the exhibit and fantasizing about how much money we needed to donate to get our names chiselled on the wall of donors....

1 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Great post! I went to grad school in LA and I miss it. Like you, I still have some good friends down there.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home