Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Women of Color Film Festival



A transformative time was had by all at the 2006 Women Of Color Film Festival www2.ucsc.edu/woc/wocff06/home.html. The festival is the longest running film festival in the United States featuring the work of women of color. As these artists receive much less attention in mainstream and independent film festivals, this venue has been especially significant for showcasing and discussing their very important work and perspectives. This years festival was entitled "Regenerations" and featured the music, art, film, and video by an amazing assembly of women.





The painting to the left is by the wonderful artist, poet, and scholar Pamela M. Chavez Zamora pmlchavez@yahoo.com



The piece above right was one of my favorites by Dalia Mendez www.ixchelena.com



On the left is the artist Pamela, along with other organizers and participants of the festival (that's me on the end).

Below is a photo of the incomparable AfroCuban hip hop artist Wanda with the legendary activist, scholar, and festival keynote speaker Angela Davis.



I must mention the very important documentary NO! by director Aishah Shahida Simmons screened at the festival (notherapedocumentary.org). This extraordinary piece discussed violence against black women within the black community. Please check out her website and read more about the documentary.

I should also mention director Maori Karmael Holmes piece Scene Not Heard about women in the Philadelphia hip hop scene.

Please take a look at the film festival website for more information on the work shown and about the festival's history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home