Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Soft Spike Files




I too shall weigh in on the soft spike curlers. First of all, I was impressed to see that they featured a locked sister on their website, her before and after photos were gorgeous. So this is me with a mix of sizes. My hair is longer in the back, but after reading how others felt the curl initially comes out too tight, I thought to try the larger size (since I had somewhere to be that same evening). I rolled my hair after washing and left them in for only an hour (again because of a lack of time).





My hair was curly enough (I thought) and still has some curl in it a couple of days later. I did leave the house with a headband and without pulling the curls apart too much. BTW I also had a shirt on (strapless!). I am receiving many more compliments about my hair from other people of color. I got alot of attention for my braid extensions from whites, but rarely from blacks. With the sisterlocks the reverse is true. There were many locked women at the film festival, but virtually none of them had heard of sisterlocks.

4 Comments:

Blogger CrazyStitcher said...

Hi,
Your soft spikes look great. I might get some too. By the way, the girl that's on the soft spikes website is actually on blogger too. You can look her up by locksblogsphotos.blogspot.com. Her name is Jazzilocs.
Have a good day,
Joy

7:15 AM  
Blogger Funlayo said...

Looking good Helga.
I really like the 3rd day effect of soft spikes - when the curls are a little more loose and feel more natural.
Keep taking those pictures. I'm enjoying your journey and interests.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thanks ladies. It is so great to have the support and encouragement from my fellow sisterlockers! I just ordered some hair jewlery from Brunsli, so I will post photos soon of the curls, jewelry, and all.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Creyole said...

Beautiful pics of you newly started loc journey. What a beautiful healthy head of hair.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home