Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, August 28, 2006

Thank God For Make-Up Artists!

Ladies and gentleman of the internet community...
Please allow me to introduce the incomparable, the extraordinary 'T' of Superior Style!



This is a rising star in the world of glamour-fication, and a personal stylist whose clients largely include fabulous women of (all) color. 'T' flew out from the biggest borrough in NY to style a friend for her nuptials over the last weekend (coming blog, stay tuned!) and still had time to clip, re-shape, pin up, blow out, and transform a bunch of us along the way. (Below is 'before' y'all)!



We had a great time playing in a very large national make up store (until we were told that photography was forbidden because it somehow hurt the brands!!!??? That is one for Brunsli!). I think that one of the make up artists working there must have heard 'T' advising us that it was not necessary to spend the money buying super-expensive make up or facial care products! (Folks, this man can work wonders with products bought at the local drugstore).


Have you seen an eye smolder like this before? That was a 15 minute make up job! (Check out the 'hater' behind the 'model'! I'm just kidding, that was a good friend also along for the adventure!


It was really wonderful for me to get to know 'T' over the past few years. I have always been interested in hair and make up, but people tend to say that I have dark skin (I personally think that I look just as I am supposed to). Well, in high school, my make up never matched my skin (this was LONG before cosmetic companies ever thought to market to and make products for women of color specifically), and when I was in college I was always told by women at department store make up counters that my skin was so 'nice' that I didn't need make up at all (they would never admit that they didn't make products for people like me! I hate racism.)! I also really hated testing make up in the stores, only to have a consultant suggest a product that would be so 'pretty' on dark skin (usually something called 'plum,' 'raisin,' 'blackberry,' or 'dusk') only to see it turn to the color of chalk as soon as it touched my hand. Since I'm on the topic, let me say one more thing: I also really hate the names 'deep,' 'dark,' 'deepest dark,' 'dark 2' and so forth for foundations and powders. Would white women like to buy products called 'ghost,' 'washed out,' 'anemic,' or 'pale'?

So, when I met 'T' I was very sceptical about him knowing how to work with me, and I was very nervous about some of his choices. BUT WHEN HE WAS DONE, I looked like a stahhh!!!




We also allowed 'T' just a little bit of sightseeing...but just a bit!

We dipped down to Carmel to have a walk and a look around. Y'know, I love to stroll through this very charming little town, they have great restaurants, and cute little shops and boutiques. It can be very romantic and cozy, yes. BUT, we got some pastries and got outta there after a very brief look-see.... (The Tuck House in Carmel is famous obviously for its appearance, but also for its tea and pastries).



The California coast needs no boosterism from me, but I am taken by how dramatic the coast is, both because of the rugged cliffs and the rapidly changing temperature and sky. Sexy!

Every trip along the coast must include a photo stop at this magnificient and impressive bridge. It has appeared in many films, and the beach below is also the site of a famous love scene (I was not in it...).

Nothing like friends (and make up artists)!

1 Comments:

Blogger Maryee said...

Looks like ya'll had a ball!! Thanks for sharing!

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home