Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hair Workout!



So, I figured that along with the changes I've undertaken this summer, getting in shape would be another good transition to add. As I should be working on my dissertation, sitting is often the position I'm in each day. If I'm not making progress on my writing, I am sitting (or lying) in front of the TV. (I'm getting caught up on all the movies and tv shows I miss during the academic year. BUT I'm most excited about the new season of Project Runway, more on that later).

I started a Pilates class about three weeks ago. MAN, it is kicking my buttocks, which is probably a good thing. It is amazing how hard it is just to hold up your own body weight. I am also taking advantage of jogging/walking along the coast. The weather has been great and there are always so many people out there in the morning. I got a lot of 'looks' today, which may or may not have to do with my sisterlocks (it is possible that people were checking to make sure that I did not faint. I still get to huffing and puffing about twenty minutes into it. I also have a tendency to sing aloud or lip sync as I go. The iPod is just the best thing since...the Walkman I guess!).


Another strange thing came to mind afterwards though: what do you do about 'head sweat'?


As promised, I am also posting some photos of some different 'styles,' if you can call them that, that I'm am testing out with my thin, two-week-old locks. Admittedly, I spend most of the day in front of the computer, so I am not seen in public that often, but the idea here is just to share how I am working what I've got, and to invite others to share some things they have done with their locks (short, long, thin, thick or otherwise) as well.





In this picture I have one of those 'psychadelic' looking head bands (eh, Nicole Richie has nothin' on me!) and I pulled what I could into a ponytail at the base of my head. My hair is much longer in the back. I thought it was cute, but I may need to slow down on the concealer!

The next pictures are my version of an 'updo.' I know, it looks wild, but that can be sexy...right? Anyway, from the back you can also see how my hair is thickening up just two weeks into this 'journey.' The texture of the individual locks is really changing quickly too. (Oh, you can also see my friend behind me. Yes, it is a Teddy Bear, but he is a doctor. You've gotta love Build-A-Bear!).



Have a wonderful Tuesday!

4 Comments:

Blogger CrazyStitcher said...

I like your hair. Keep with the updates.

4:00 PM  
Blogger brunsli said...

Yea! You're blogging. :)

I love all of your styles, especially the last updo.

Don't worry, your hair will plump up in no time.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thanks for the support folks, I am really growing into my 'new look.' Joy, your locks look great (only four weeks along huh? I like the way your bangs lie down in the front...I'm still trying to teach mine that new trick). Brunsli, you are super stylish, as usual. (I'm also happy that we've gotten a break from the heat!).

Love and locks,
Helga

1:43 PM  
Blogger Funlayo said...

Helga,

I love your hair. If your hair looks this good now I can only imagine just how gorgeous it will be in a few months. Keep blogging and taking photos. I am adding your blog to my links:)

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home