Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Thursday, September 14, 2006

If I Have One...Two Regrets...


the first would be that I did not get a haircut and/or some sort of hairstyle before getting my sisterlocks installed. Apart from having an actual 'look' or style, I badly needed to trim my hair after wearing the braid extensions for so long. You can tell from the photo that my hair is several different lengths, a factor that also made sisterlock installment a bit more challenging for my loctician (sorry!).

The other REAL regret that I have about my hair is the thing that is bugging me the most, just about everyday. This is tough, but I am going to show it! Argh, look at the damage I did to my hair by wearing those extensions for so long!

I can't believe it myself, I must have been involved in some sort of hair-masochism. The constant pulling, weight, and tension around my hairline has created this mess. You can even see in this photo how my edges were thinning.



The bangs I've got goin' on now covers it up most days, but I am paying closest attention to this area to see how wearing SLs helps with this. I can report that at my first re-tightening we were able to begin incorporating hair from that area, so things are filling in. SO, if you are contemplating SLs and were really into the braids like I was, don't live with regret...



INSTEAD, maintain the spirit of my new favorite T! You must check out iloveblackpeople.com. It is crazy to see the different reactions that people have to such a statement, but it reminds me to love myself, and to love those crazy, stumpy, jagged, crooked looking SLs that I need to tenderly care back into health!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chi-chi said...

Hey Helga,

Your hair texture is so pretty. And shiny! I feel you on the edges. mine were so small that they kept unraveling! And I didn't have a trim before is installed my loc and really regretted it. But in a month or so, those ends will start coiling up and they'll be so pretty. Hang in there.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Cluizel said...

I have that shirt too!!! :)

I didn't have a trim either. :(...

5:34 AM  
Blogger Naturalist1 said...

The same situation happened to me. I wore braids for about a year and when I tookt them out I had alot of breakage especially around the edges, but they are growing back slowly but surely. Give it time, your hair will grow on the edges. I also didn't get a trim. At first, I didn't like it because my hair was in different length but after a while I'm starting to like the layer look. But so far your hair looks nice.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the t-shirt and I think you SL's look great. It is good to hear that the damaged area is growing in, no wrries...it will be fine.

2:29 PM  
Blogger AFunkyKindaGlow said...

I love black people too... I want that shirt, I should wear it to work... that will be a fun day...

Ur locs look great, time is a healer.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Helga!

How's it going? Your hair looks fabulous, damage and all! :) I'm with you on the trim. Oh well. What to do? :) Keep posting; I enjoy reading your blog! Oh, and if you have more makeup tips, please share!

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home