Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Don't "Die" About the Dye Job

...thanks Rachel Zoe...

Well, if you saw the photos of my summer vacation, you may have noticed that my hair color is quite dull. Before sisterlocking, I was a longtime braid extension wearer. Whenever I would take my braids down I would notice that my hair color was very dull, but I never colored my hair.

My sister and my good friend thought that it was time for me to do something about the color. I was also looking for a change (I actually thought about getting rid of the layers), so I submitted to the dye job.

We used two boxes of Feria ("black leather" I think). Yes, two boxes! After 45 minutes rinsing in the shower, I emerged from the bathroom looking like, to my mind, a vampire...

The change was stark I think, but after the trouble (and two boxes!), I was stunned by how quickly the color faded. I now have lighter roots and streaks of brown throughout. I'm not inclined to dye again soon, but I would love to hear your dying lock stories. Does the color fade quickly? Do you dye your own hair?

To be fair, I work out regularly so I do wash my hair often. The conditioner that comes with the dye has been the only product I use. My hair is not dry or brittle, and the texture is as before. Nonetheless, I don't think I will dye again until next summer...

7 Comments:

Blogger E. RaMona (Alaiyo) said...

Hi,

I am not yet sisterlocked, (Nov 1)but i follow your blog and i saw this post on another blog and she mentions the brand of dye she used and said it worked great. Take a look:

http://gigglzisfree.blogspot.com/search/label/Month%206%20-%20Month%207

1:12 PM  
Blogger msfullroller said...

Your locs and the color is gorgeous!!!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Locs2Envy said...

You color is lovely. I color my hair quite often; actually just colored a few weeks back but I only notice the color being removed from my hair when I shampoo with stronger shampoos. I also lose a little when I deep condition but that is because conditioners open your cuticle for deposit so it is natural for some color to escape the cuticle layer. It's not a big deal to me though because I color at the drop of a hat. Coloring is fun once you get used to it. Enjoy your hair. It's beautiful.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Blazin'Ebony said...

the new color suits you!

6:15 PM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

I like the color very much -although I never thought it looked dull to begin with. I have felt the same kind of blah with my own hair, though, so I know what you mean. I just felt like I had been looking the same for far too long!

I am also glad you chose to keep the layers. I love the layers. In fact, as I was looking at the pictures before I read the copy I thought: I really like the shape and length of her hair.

I also use Feria. As a thick-haired sister, I have to tell you, I use 2 bottles just to do highlights. It would take 3 or 4 to do all over color.

I have not experienced fading, but highlights are different from darkening.

I have experienced fading before when going darker, no matter what brand I used.

I also color once a year. That is part of the reason I chose highlights instead of all over color. It looks less crazy as it grows out.

I always use reds and blondes and I hate having that stark line where new growth meets color.

I used to color every 6 - 8 weeks before I started my locks. It didn't seem damaging at the time, but after about 2.5 years I noticed that my hair was not as soft or healthy as it had been, in spite of the fact that I conditioned well and trimmed my ends.

Since I started my locks, I have been really concerned about the cumulative effect of coloring and that is why I only color about once a year now and only highlight as opposed to all-over color.

If I do damage some of my locks, the damage will be random and fractional - so goes the theory.

But you are looking cute as ever. I like it!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Wow! I have learned so much from you all! I have not re-colored yet... I am thinking that a chocolate brown might be more interesting...

but 3-4 boxes?! Gee, I didn't realize how intense the process was!!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Happiest Nappy said...

Helga, I use a rinse every 6 weeks or so depending on my retightening. It is Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent...#2 in Summer, #1 in Winter. I have been using this for years and years and it is about the only thing I can fight my gray color with. Before I had graying---I would use the burgundy rinse which worked for me. Your Locks are gorgeous!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home