Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Morning Doughnut!



In preparation for an upcoming conference, I have given up doughnuts for breakfast. BUT, that doesn't mean I can't have a morning lock doughnut!

Now, my locks are unique, so unique that no two are the same length or color! I am laying off of the "thin lock" stuff and I don't intend to focus on another issue here. My only point is that sometimes the unevenness of my locks make styling at this stage somewhat challenging.

Alas, my new discovery...
Well, it isn't all that new. I have seen various YouTube videos and real live people sporting this particular style. When I wore braids someone attempted this look on me using a sports sock...

Thus, I am happy for this recent purchase at Sally's. I bought one for my friends and daughter, but this is the first one I saw that has a color and texture that "matches" my own (my hair texture is not exactly like a Brillo pad...).



Anyway, I took pictures to show the process and a look that works well for (thin and) uneven locks. To make this work, you need the "doughnut," bobby pins (only for ends that won't lie flat), and large earrings (cuz they make updos super chic!). I tried to curl my bangs and the pieces around my face (even though my curl sets only last 15 minutes these days...).


(All those curlers for this?! Those curls just won't hold up!).

Use the doughnut to make a ponytail. With longer hair, the instructions suggest making a ponytail with a ponytail holder, then pulling it through the "doughnut."

Find the center of your ponytail. Put your index finger through to make a little burrow or hole. Out from that hole, flatten your locks against the doughnut.


I now used a ponytail holder, stretching it around the doughnut in order to force the locks underneath.



The stray lock ends you see on the sides of the bun can be hidden away with bobby pins, as necessary. (Even after almost 3 years, you can still see a lot of scalp after a re-tightening...blast!).


Voila! A super chic updo and a delicious "doughnut" for breakfast!

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger msfullroller said...

Very nice! I'll have to keep this in mind when I get to your length.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Fierce! I did this before with a black sock. LOL! I love it!

5:32 AM  
Blogger z said...

This is a great idea! I'll have to see if my Sally's has one of these, but first I have to make sure I can fit all of my locks into one hair tie...lol! The bun looks great on you and I like your idea of creating side bangs to go with it.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

Oooh, I've got to get to Sally's. I love the look.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very pretty. I may have to take a trip to Sally's... I like this style b/c it's simple yet still chic!

As always you look stunning!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Free McK. said...

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I bought a doughnut once and it was a horrible experience. I gave it away... but now I've got to try this one! Thanks!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Bajan Lily said...

Your hair is AWESOME! And thanks for the tips!

5:25 AM  
Blogger deleted said...

Looks nice! I am going to make a trip to Sally too. Have you tried Soft Spikes : http://softspikecurlers.com/.. All the best to you.

12:27 PM  
Blogger z said...

OK, here is my update on using the doughnut and i've mentioned you in my post. Thanks! ~Dewdrop

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home