Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Sunday, May 17, 2009

New Headshots

You may recall that in the fall of 2007 I was asked, for the first time in my career as an academic, for a headshot. I got a lot of great advice about which photo to choose from many of you, but I have to admit that none of the photos I sent were chosen. Instead, two other fellows and I posed for a group picture that was featured in the Department's newsletter.

Take a look at my first headshot.


Fast forward 1.5 years: I now have my PhD and am being asked for a new headshot! The good news is that someone is asking! The other good news is that the photo shoot (gracias a Keen-ah!) gave me the opportunity to compare how different my locks look now.



Amazing eh?! If you have seen the early stages of my locking experience you know that I was very concerned about how thin my hair was. I have mentioned several times that much of the thinning, especially around the temple, was due to what used to be a commitment to braid extensions. Other problem areas were due to a horrific relaxer I got on a whim while on vacation in Madrid (don't ask what possessed me. It just seemed so unfair that I couldn't walk into a hair salon anywhere in the world and get my hair done...)!

Although I don't think my hair has grown so much in the past 1.5 years, I am very surprised by how much fuller and thicker it is.



So know, all I have to do is to choose which photo I like best. I think one of them is a bit "sexier" than the other (definitely the look I am going for), but maybe one is more appropriate. I would love to hear your thoughts, but remember, I am single and looking!

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing how different you look!!! I love it. I'm forwarding this to my student.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing!!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Your hair looks fab, very full.

I prefer the 3nd phoo better ;)

8:19 PM  
Blogger msfullroller said...

My favorite is the second shot, however if this is for a conservative professional gig, ...I'm not so sure. Beautiful locs though!

1:25 AM  
Blogger Sunshine Sisterlocks said...

I love the last pic!
And I'm sure there's not a huge length difference because your hair's been maturing to the fully-locked stage. The length should be jetting off anytime now!

I'm looking forward to being fully locked myself one day. Congrats on everything!

11:15 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Beautiful hair! You give all us "thin hair" ladies much hope.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

va-va-vooom... I like the third pic!!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thanks everyone! I actually used the second picture, but once I saw it posted on the conference website, I wished I had gone with #3! Typical Helga!

6:13 PM  
Blogger BornFreeStyle said...

Hello Helga,

Nice to meet you and very Beautiful Headshot - you look wonderful!!

Is there a way I can email you privately? I get an error message when I try to reach you at helgaslocks@yahoo.com.

I wanted to ask your advice about pursuing the doctorate. Thanks, Jamilah

11:25 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

Miss Sis, how pretty you are. Love those beautiful. I'll try not to hate!!!

7:59 PM  
Blogger brunsli said...

You're gorgeous in these photos!

I would have chosen the second one as well (the middle one).

Now, how are you planning to look older than your undergraduates??

9:18 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Anthea/Jamilah: Sorry, I never check that email account. It has most likely closed. You can reach me at felicebk@hotmail.com. I'd love to talk with you about pursuing the doctorate!

Brunsli: You are too funny! Actually, a very famous lawyer/educator with amazing locks had a lot to say about my photo over wine during the conference lol! Hey, someone has to show these undergrads the way ;-)

8:06 PM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

I'm late, but I would have cast my vote for #3 as well. I think it is a little sassier/sexier, but not in a way that was unprofessional.

It just says: "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful."

You can't HELP it.

I am LOVING the side-swept bangs and layered look.

My hair was always thick - before I locked and it just continues to thicken, but I STILL expected more length in the time I have been locked.

Same story as you: Less length, greater thickness. But it's all good, right?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Free McK. said...

very beautiful skin and hair!

7:43 AM  
Blogger nicole is the new black said...

OMG your hair looks great. thin? where? i vote for a blog name change!

10:55 AM  
Blogger C. Dominica said...

I think you look great. If I had to choose a photo, I prefer the second photo. The third photo was a bit blurry, especially around the eyes. Photographically, the first photo does not look quite as professional as the last two. The second photo looks in focus, and your eyes are together and looking at the camera. I think the last two photos look professional, classy, and yet stylish. It does not look over-sexy. No matter which you choose, you look great!

9:30 PM  
Blogger TheNerd said...

I think both of the last 2 headshots look great, the sexy levels of them depend on what you are comfortable putting out there! But they are really good, and they bring a lot of attention to your eyes, and the way your hair is really frames your face nicely!!! I am a thin hair sister, and I hope to one day have my locs looking so nice!!!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Ms. Love said...

Your locs are beautiful and I'm glad I looked at the pics of your journey.

I'm planing on getting SLs in June and have been a little concerned about three small areas along my hairline that show some thinning. Your pics have provided me with the encouragement I need to go ahead with my decision despite a few comments from friends regarding the possible tension these locs will cause to my thinning areas.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home