Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Did I Really Mean Thin?



Well, maybe I need to clarify. A few bloggers have asked me about the title of my blog. I started my blog a week after I had my sisterlocks installed, and like many people, I flipped out when I saw how thin my hair appeared. I have explained in other posts that I was a career consumer of hair extensions. I got my first hair weave at the end of 10th grade. Although I helped to make the hair weave sexy, wearing them began a process of me hiding behind hair that lasted until I got my sisterlocks.

You can imagine how long that was...

Although I did not have a relaxer, stress from the braiding and the weight from the extensions also damaged my hair in several areas.

So I ended up with less than 400 locks, if the average 420-450 locks is any measure.


Like most of us who poured over blog photos (especially Leighann's), before the boom in sisterlock blogs, I couldn't wait for my head full of locks. I think I underestimated what the early stages would be like... I do think that using the term "thin" in the blog title may have been jumping the gun, but at least those who see the blog can gauge how my locks are progressing.



The picture above shows how my locks looked after a soft spike set when my locks were just a few months old. The difference is amazing.

The picture below shows an updo from earlier this week. The other picture above shows an updo after just a couple of months with sisterlocks. You can appreciate how much my hair has changed in less than 2 years.


9 Comments:

Blogger Aya said...

Oh my, what a difference. I still remember when I first saw your sl's at Carol's church. Yeah, they were thin, but I still thought they were really nice. But looking at you know....wowwy!!! If there is such a word. Can't wait to see you at the graduation.

8:42 AM  
Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Not thin at all. I love the curls!

3:06 PM  
Blogger z said...

Your curls are so lovely and full.

8:08 PM  
Blogger z said...

Your updo is so beautiful! Wish that I could see a side profile.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! What a magnificent transformation your locks have made. So much growth and fullness. Even when I first came across your blog I didn't think your hair was thin. But I know alot of us were fearful of the eventual size our locks would become.

I have 403 locks and I also wore braid extensions for a very very long time, which took a huge toll on my edges and various places on my scalp.

Thanks goodness for Sisterlocks!!! Your locks look GREAT!!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thanx everyone! You all are always so supportive. I am trying to come up with a more accurate blog title. I'll keep you posted!

7:29 PM  
Blogger au naturale said...

Question, did you have actually breakage and hair going thin. I have a region from the right side of my hair down to the back where my hair is thinning. Everywhere else my hair is full, except for a few breakage area. I have been natural for a while and recently had to cut my 16 in hair down to eight because of a die job. I wanted to ask, how do the SL act on the thinner regions of your hair?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Your locks are so pretty. I like the styles too! No, it's not thin at all.

Onyx Cherry and I were talking the other day. I think head size has alot to do with it too along with how far your hair grows down on your neck and forehead.

Regardless, you look fab!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

au naturale:
I damaged my hair and scalp with a bad perm about a decade ago. When I wore braids, a good half of my hair came our in those areas when I took my braids down. From braiding, I have a lot of thinning around my hairline. Slowly, I have been able to catch enough hair to add a few SL's to those areas in the front. But after two years with SL's my hairline has not grown back (it may never). Overall, the SL's have only been positive for my hair and its health. The thinner/thinning areas only meant that I have larger parts and therefore fewer locks.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home