Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, June 16, 2008

Dr. Helga




What a weekend! On Friday afternoon I had the honor of participating in commencement. I have to say, it was almost like an out of body experience. I had been to graduation several times to cheer on my colleagues and to remind myself that people do actually finish the PhD.

My beautiful family and many of my friends were in attendance. I intended to write that I was the only Black female PhD recipient with locks there, but I will have to amend that to, I was the only Black female PhD recipient. I am proud of myself, but we still need to encourage other Black students to pursue advanced degrees.

That's why I was most excited to have most of my nieces and nephews and, of course, my daughter there. They are gorgeous (and so is my sisterlocked sister "Aya").


This amazing intellectual and freedom fighter also ended her career at my University last weekend. She is retiring from that school, but her career is far from over.


Congratulations to the Class of 2008! (Where is Helga?)

13 Comments:

Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Congratulations! Whoa! That's major. You're my shero. And you met another shero of mine, Ms. Angela Davis. Wow!!!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay Helga! I'm so proud of you!!! Congratulations on your sucess.

I love the b&w pics... it's reminiscent of blacks in the US 60 years ago.

7:04 PM  
Blogger z said...

Congratulations!! I'm so proud of you!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

Nice pic's Dr. Sis. Sure had a great time, but I wish I was feeling better. I'm just now feeling better. Enjoy Oslo.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Quietspirit said...

Congratulations! I've enjoyed your blog

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dr. Helga!!!!!!!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

12:08 PM  
Blogger esskaym said...

Congratulations Helga. I've been lurking for a while but this occasion warrants leaving a comment. U rock! Finishing a PhD program is no small feat.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Nu-Me said...

Dr. Helga....

Congratulations, that's awesome!

10:25 AM  
Blogger s0utherngirl said...

That's so awesome. Congratulations!

7:40 AM  
Blogger brunsli said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS DR. HELGA!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is really nothing I can say in a blog comment commensurate in scope with your achievement. But, somewhere in LA or Palo Alto, a fellow blogger who doesn't know you is REALLY PROUD of you.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thank you, thank you esskaym, nu-me, rekeesha, brunsli, and everyone else! Your comments and well wishes really mean a lot to me. Thank you.

2:49 AM  
Blogger muslimahlocs said...

congratulations. what a beautiful picture of dr. davis. she was one of my professors too.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home