Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Friday, December 08, 2006

Dollars and Sense

So I have begun my research about professor salaries across the nation. Check out the website salary.com to find out about salaries for a multitude of different occupations all over the country.

For associate professors in the liberal arts in southern Cal, the average salary is (brace yourselves), $65,013! In northern Cal, the figure is only slightly higher (65,801). I then wondered what the difference would be in New York. Well, an assocate prof. in English receives on average $65,930.

BTW, for full professors, the figure goes up to about $83,037 (again, on average).

I don't know what this means in terms of me buying a home :-(

I have heard of people receiving very nice research stipends, and even help on the purchase of a home.

Maybe I will have to begin selling some books!

5 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Well, one thing that helps is that most universities will make generous contributions to your home. I believe my school gives professors a 100K or 150K deposit and a 300K loan at 3%. I believe my undergrad bought a third of your home and then took a third back when you sold. Nice perks!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

That's what I'm talkin' about Brunsli. I am so happy for the advice to begin researching what type of package I should negotiate. It really came as a surprise to me when I heard about these additionally perks. Now, I just have to finish that dissertation....

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to say hello. We are in the same profession. I'm in year 4 of my graduate program. I plan to start my dissertation in the spring. When do you go on the market? I anticipate going on the market next Fall. Your sisterlocks look great btw.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aiiight, Helga. Where you at?? And don't give me that "I'm busy with scool" excuse. That is NOT a good reason not to update yuor blog!! LOL!!

If that is not a case of the pot caling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

But seriously, I miss reading about you!! :)

12:39 PM  
Blogger Chi-chi said...

This is exciting! I love to see Black
Academics doin' their thing! Good luck on the negotiation, I look forward to hearing more.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home