Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, December 04, 2006

Black Ties, Black People




I had the opportunity to go to a black tie event over the weekend. The sponsors were an organization of professional Black men my bro-in-law (below) recently joined.


Admittedly, I was skeptical, less about elite Black organizations, but more about the possibilities of meeting single, tall, political, professional, and Christian Black men who date Black women. Maybe Christian should have appeared at the top of the list... At any rate, I figured that I would enjoy the opportunity to get dressed up. After reading Brunsli's blog and looking at the salary base for associate professors in liberal arts, (more on that later), I had begun to contemplate switiching to law school!


Anyway, I also greatly enjoyed getting dolled up with my beautiful sisters. We are a natural hair family, none of us (and there are many) have permed hair. Although we are still trying to get this one (below) to sisterlock, she still looked stunning with this gorgeous upsweep.


My other sis is new to the SL family. She looks regal with her curly, baby SLs. I'm so jealous of how full her hair already is!

7 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Oooh wee! You look great!

So, I had to laugh -- it's a shame we have to put "who date black women" in the description of the IBM. LOL!

So, did you meet any??

11:49 PM  
Blogger brunsli said...

Why didn't you invite me??? I already had a dress! ;)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

You are so funny B! Unfortunately, I was much younger than many of the people there. But I did have a very interesting (non-romantic) encounter with a VP of the Esterlina vineyard. It is a Black owned winery in the Mendocino area, and apparently there is also an association of African American vitners. I am so fascinated by this, I'm hoping to make a trip up there for some relaxation and good wine tasting (who knows, maybe there'll be a SBM on the tour)!!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Re said...

Wow, Helga, you look stunning in that beautiful dress. Your hair is progressing well. I really like the headband hair do. You do a lot more styling that I do. I prefer the freestyle, maybe I'll do more styling after my 6 month mark.

11:09 AM  
Blogger brunsli said...

What's wrong with old people? I have been known to associate with people over 26 from time to time. Let's plan an outing to the winery in the spring!

10:02 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

An outing? Yes, yes! I am on sabbatical in the Spring, let's do it!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

Helga, girl you look incredible in that dress. That dress ended up being a good choice after all. Sure like the progress on you sister locs.You go.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home