Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Saturday, November 25, 2006

California Dreamin'



Yes, I too dream of owning a beautiful home in California (I love all the pictures that give me a glimpse of Brunsli's cool Bay area crib!). I am from a small town close to an up and coming part of the coast. It is so up and coming that I am already priced out of the market (well, anything over $29.99 puts me out of the market! I'll get a full time job soon).

So, I took my daughter and niece to have a look-see, and I was so happy to find this beautiful lot for sale!



I am only 2.25 million short, but this, the view, is truly amazing.


Reading Brunsli's blogs about the job search/interview/negotiation process has got me thinking about the 'quality' of pay I should receive as a professor (PhD in hand) at some entry level position.

Mostly I've just been thinking and daydreaming about it (hence the photos of these beautiful coastal homes), and imagining how nice it would be to have a retreat.


Well, I have heard stories of people starting off with a low salary, but with a research fund, and sometimes even funding for housing (think a small downpayment).


As I am planning to come out next year (it's kind of like going into the NFL draft!), I should begin researching more seriously. (Wow, my locs will also be past the one year mark then, that's gotta help with landing a good job!).

2 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Oh real estate! It's one of my biggest woes. LA is a little cheaper than the Bay Area, but it means you can find a starter home for under 7 figures. Sigh. But, we have the beach, great weather, liberal people, outdoor living, I keep telling myself!

You defnitely have to negotiate something for yourself. Try to find someone who's been through it to help you. There was recently a study at MIT, finding that women professors got paid less, had less labspace, etc. because they didn't ask for/insist on more. Sigh.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

I hear you!!! Part of the reason I have been so intrigued by your job search is because of the varied responses I hear from (particularly from women of color) about how the process plays itself out, and about how one is to present herself. I may begin to post what I find.

BTW, yes, LA is a bit cheaper, and I know many people who have tried various neighborhoods looking for that right fit. I have also contemplated heading back, but we'll see how the dissertation fellowship apps pan out first!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home