Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Shrinkage!



So, apart from trying to watch my hair grow, the other activity me and my locs are actively involved in is a fight against SHRINKAGE! In some ways, it doesn't bother me. In fact, it gives me a sort of 'boyish' hairstyle that I don't mind at all. It becomes problematic for me when the front and sides begin to resemble that lopsided JJ Fadd haircut from back in the day.




The new strategy in the fight against shrinkage is... curlers! When I curl my hair after a wash (and although the 'look' in these pictures was achieved with about three different curler types, due to my uneven lengths) I find that I don't have to battle the shrinkage for most of the week (the fight is on again after about 4 days). Because I don't like to mess wtih my hair so much (I can't wait to 'freestyle' properly) curling once a week is reasonable, and the outcome is fairly cute! These photos are from the fourth month.

5 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Fairly cute? Very cute!

I love curls to hide uneven ends!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Goodnapps said...

I remember being plaqued by the shinkage monster too. It does go away by a year into the journey.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Ree-C said...

You are on the right track. Roller sets / curls will hide the shrinkage and uneven ends. Your hair is cute.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thanks folks! It means so much to hear these wonderful comments about my natural hair (this after about 12 years braiding!!!).

8:41 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Looks great to me. Your curls look like they're flipped up in back.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home