Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, July 17, 2006

Here We Go!

YAHOOEE!




I had to do it.

I've been reading everyone's blogs, well, only the one's about sisterlocks, so I had to start my own. I may be the most private person in the world, so this is both crazy and shameful, but I'm doing it anyway. That seems to be the name of the game this summer, my attempts to do things I would not have done before (or at least not since I started acting 'grown'). Obviously, the biggest, most monumental change has been GETTING SISTERLOCKS! I am into my second week (almost sounds like a pregnancy journal!).

I am at the beginning of the famous 'journey' and I too really like the change.... However, I must admit that I, like many others, was very surprised by how thin my hair is. I think it has quite a bit to do with wearing braids for um, most of my adult life (see action shot below), and then dealing with incredible amounts of stress. The other factor here is, actually, that my hair is soft, fine, and, of course, nappy!







I figured that I may not be the ONLY one with such an experience. I have been thrilled to see the development of everyone's locks, but I looked way too long and hard at the post-one year photos. Believe me, they are gorgeous, but I thought that I would share some of my experience here at the beginning and with much thinner hair (did I mention that my hair is thin?!).



Whoo, these pictures are out of control! When I get the hang of this, perhaps I will post more than photos of my nose. This is the problem with taking pictures of yourself by yourself. I'll practice, promise. Anyway, here are some crazy before and after shots (makeover and makeup still pending). See what I mean, these sisterlocks are making me bold, I'm even putting these wild photos out in cyberspace.

So, that's the first blog...

Feel free to write me at helgaslocks@yahoo.com (no, my name is not Helga, but that is the name of the protagonist of one of my favorite novels!)

7 Comments:

Blogger CrazyStitcher said...

Hi I just started my journey too. I wish you good luck on your sisterlock journey.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Maryee said...

Your blog is a joy to read. I love your hair and beautiful eyes!

4:59 AM  
Blogger eboniegirl said...

thank you for photo & info on thin
sisterlocks. I have an appt in two
weeks but have very thin hair.
I am really worried how it will initially look for the first couple of months. I have been in twists for
1 1/2 years with extensions - but those thin areas are still not growing - really hoping that sisterlocks will be the answer.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Naturally Sophisticated said...

My hair is very thin also, so it's wonderful to see where you started and where you are now......BEAUTIFUL!!!

4:34 PM  
Blogger "T" said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! For being bold and posting pictures of your sisterlocks journey!!! I still have braids right now but I am saving money for sisterlocks! I too have thin hair that is fine, soft yet NAPPY!!! I know that they say everyone's locks are a little different but it's awesome to get a guage! Your mature locks are beautiful! I would love to know your maintenance regimen! I have just started reading your blog today and maybe you have already posted that information! Thank you again!!!

10:51 AM  
Blogger carina said...

I would like you to know that you and your blog has been my inspiration.I have very thin hair and your pictures inspired me to have my SL installed on 09/17/11 and i could not be more pleased with my decision.Thank you.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had my consultation for sisterlocks today. It went well but I was surprised by how thin my hair is also. My consultant told me sisterlocks would be good for my hair. Thanks for sharing.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home