Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Negrophilia?



Walking around Oslo I am taken by the use-value of blackness. In a recent interview, the queen of Norway stated that integrating Norway's 'new countrymen' is an important and difficult task. But how exactly should people be 'integrated?'

(BTW: The caption next to the man in heels reads "Who in the world still travels to Ibiza?," and the quote about 'black' is from a Swedish modernist painter/sculptor).

2 Comments:

Blogger Aya said...

Me Goodness Lord Sis: What's up with the dude in those high heels? I can't understand the words underneath, but is that Norways representationof Black culture? Enlighten me, please.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Aya: ya, the caption asks "who in the world still goes to Ibiza." Ibiza is an island (owned by Spain) that had/has the reputation for being a party place (sex, drugs, and techno music). Because this is the month when Norwegians travel for summer vacation, there was an article about travel destinations. The man in the picture is a Brazillian go-go dancer who is said to have reached the 'top' of the club scene in Ibiza.

My take is that the journalist and layout editor presumed that such a picture would epitomize the infamous Ibiza scene.

Troublesome, indeed!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home