Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Gimme a Shot!


As promised, I have taken some photos to show my hair progress up to date. For me, the first year with sisterlocks has been great, I do feel so much freer and more myself without those (gorgeous, stunning) braid extensions. In the US, people have responded so positively to the change (one of my friends said she wanted to cut her hair short after seeing my new style.... she obviously didn't realize the seemingly unending pursuit of length, but she was, afterall, giving me a complement;-)

This is the first time my former in-laws are seeing my hair in sisterlocks. One brother-in/out-law said "you changed your hair." His mom said, "you changed your hair." Admittedly, I am having a couple of bad hair days here in this rainy weather (yes, the rainy weather even makes my locks droop), but I have told them all of my commitment not to hide behind hair. I'm not sure they got it...


At any rate, I am content (I was even asked on two dates here, yes y'all, as Lupe Fiasco says, I am still on my pimp! That is a joke people...).

Anyway, I still have not figured out how to take a decent picture of myself, but ask the ladies from the sisterlock gathering in the Bay, I am cute, I swear.

I am looking forward to the second year, I can see from other people's blogs that things really take off during year two!

Yikes! Look at day 2, front and back!

6 Comments:

Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Your hair looks so much thicker. Your locs really fit you. I can't wait til I am out of the baby stage. Did you start with relaxed hair?

1:19 PM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

Beautiful progress.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

Seestah!!! As Sandra would say lol! I just love the pictures. Your hair looks sooo full. Weret he bottom two pictures taken on day 2 from installation? If so, what a difference a year makes. Did you go on the date? Girl, give those Klievns somthing to talk about.

love ya.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

Testing testing. Sis I posted here and on the latest post earlier today. For some reason,it is not showing. Let me see if this posts.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

NS: No, my hair was all natural when I started, but I had been wearing my hair in braids for more or less 15 years before sisterlocking (it is so shameful to admit). The braiding, I think, is the biggest culprit for how thin my hair was when I started and for the thinning around the hairline. My hair is fine, but this year of wearing sisterlocks has definitely allowed my hair to repair some of the damage for the braid extensions.

BR: Thank you. I love progress, and it is much easier to see (even for me) when I compare day 2 two and day 365!

Seestah: Ya, those bottom two were truly from the bottom on day two (you know I was 'going through' during those days!). No, I didn't go on the date yet, but I am on the prowl ;-) And yes, I see your posts...

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the progress. I definitely have noticed a change in density.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home