Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, July 09, 2007

5, 6, 7, or 8?

Yes, I have been tagged, but in the interim, the number of things one is to share about oneself has grown. I shall begin my list and see how far I get!

1. I was the first black cheerleading captain at my high school. I am not exactly sure what kind of feat that was, but it is true nonetheless. Although I was involved in cheerleading all four years, I now regret not having done something that I could have continued to use later in life, like joining the tennis or golf team. (I am also excited for Venus). Also, high school was the time when I started wearing hair weaves (sorry, all pictures are at my parents' house). Man, that was tough back in the late 80s, no India Arie in sight!

2. In the sixth grade I misspelled the word 'therapeutic' during a regional spelling bee (my best friend was eliminated for the incorrect spelling of 'mesmerize'). I still haven't been able to watch the movie Akillah and the Bee for fear of traumatic flashbacks! Looking at the caliber of words young people have to spell in the bees these days makes my error way back when seem even more pathetic!

3. I was tatooed by a Danish sailor. This is nothing to be proud of, but it does sound stereotypical in a way. BTW I am not in Denmark now, though I am in Scandinavia.

4. I am a music fanatic. I have an appreciation of almost everything from classical, to folk, rock, R&B, hip hop, and especially music from Spain, parts of Africa, and Latin America. As a child I was moved to tears listening to my mom's gospel albums. When my father found me crying by the record player, I tried to explain that I wanted to be in the record. My parents took this to mean that I wanted to be a musician, but the truth is that I wanted to be IN the music (a very hard concept to explain at such a young age). At any rate, I have played four different instruments (clarinet, piano, flute, bass guitar, and 3 months with the guitar), but I am still moved by someone like the incomparable Prince explaining that he IS music. Deep!

5. I am hispanophile. I have studied Spanish since I was 14, and as an undergraduate I participated in EAP to Madrid. I am crazy about that country and travel to Spain often. Apart from that, an important part of my dissertation deals with Afro-Latin America and I often tell people that I am from Cuba (when I am in California) or from Puerto Rico (when I am on the east coast).

6. I have 8 siblings! I fall at number 5, though technically I am the baby (who can take that away from me?), as my parents began adopting after me. It is wonderful being from a large family, more so now that we are all grown than during childhood (oh the morning fights over leg warmers and clothes before school back in the day...). You should see how long it takes to open presents at Christmas (there are now 7 grandchildren as well)!

7. I always thought that I would be a professional dancer. When I got to college I decided to major in something a bit more practical, and now here I am, one year away from a PhD and the only rugs I cut are from tripping in my stillettos.

8. I have often joked that if the PhD-game didn't work out, I would go to 'beauty school!'

9. Today is my one year sisterlock anniversary. Pictures of my rag and of this rainy country are forthcoming...

4 Comments:

Blogger Aya said...

Hey Sis: I enjoyed reading your comments. Even a few things were new news to me. I laughed so hard about the "wanting to be in the song" bit. Too funny. Keep posting.

Love and blessings

9:13 AM  
Blogger Brandy Colbert said...

congrats on your one-year locaversary. your locs look really great. :)

i enjoyed reading your list - we have a few things in common.

and that is amazing about the PhD - that is such a huge and awesome accomplishment.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

I enjoyed your interview. Very interesting post. Congratulations on your Locs-versary! What will you do to celebrate? I am the baby of my family too.

1:14 PM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

Glad you're back.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home