Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Ch- Ch- Changes...



Alrighty then! The last few months (perhaps 5 since the switch was made to the New Blogger and hence the lack of posting on my part) have been filled with all class of excitement and changes. Thank you to everyone who still came by the blog, I am still an avid reader of everything going on with y'all and your respective sisterlocks! (Ally: congrats on the move; Brunsli: I am feeling you about the studying; and Sunsail: hang tough, family may trip, but you look fly!). My sister Aya has been harrassing me too about updating, and her spirit about the whole locking experience keeps me looking at my hair in the mirror (what a one woman support system!).

I am also proud to say that I have been tagged a few times, and I am eager to share all kinds of outrageous stuff about myself... but that will be another day.

For now, I would like to announce that during the Spring I was awarded a very prestigious dissertation fellowship! Hurray! After receiving so many rejection letters (and after sooo much work putting the applications together) I was successful, and because of that, I decided to move to another California beach town (people here luuuvvv to put the universities on the coast, God bless em')!

After the move who couldn't use a little resort living? I tell you, two days by the pool changes your whole perspective. This time, the little one got to get in on the action at Fess Parker. (And look how lovely they set the breakfast table on our patio.) BTW the white building with the small terraces is the new dwelling, not Fess Parker... ;-)



The other crazy thing that has happened actuallly coincides with my sisterlock journey (so to speak). The day my locks were installed was also the beginning of some very trying legal issues around custody of my beloved baby girl. Long story short, I am now (a year later) on an international trip for her first international visitation abroad. I would like to say that I am not anxious at all about being here, but that would be a big fat lie. So along with getting back into the blog, I am going to write about how things are going over here.

Part of this experience has been about changing my perspective on my self and my life, so the decision to sisterlock was also about letting go of the things (like hair) that I was hiding behind. Also, I love to hide behind nice handbags and shoes, thus this trip is also being accomplished with very little 'stuff.' I decided to pack one dress, one suit, one pair of jeans, one skirt, one pair of slacks, only three pair of shoes, and about five tops (plus clothes for the gym). I am going to post pictures of how the combinations come out. As I am planning to write another chapter during this month-long sojourn (and to workout regularly) I think I may be alright.

These photos are of the beautiful house I am keeping while here abroad (architects have impeccable taste!). The dining room is now my office, and that lovely living room down the hall will be my crashing spot for the next three weeks.



Finally, July 9th marks the end of me being a first-year sisterlocker, so stay tuned for some hillarious before and after shots!

5 Comments:

Blogger muslimahlocs said...

uummm yeah, so how about responding to the tags, girlfriend.

2:47 PM  
Blogger brunsli said...

Wonderful news! Congrats on your fellowship!

And the trip abroad? That's just a teaser post! I guess you'll post more when you're ready...

Maybe when you get back we can meet up. I suspect you are in day-trip distance from me in LA. ;)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Can't wait! And Congrats!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

Hey Sis. Welcome back!!! You were surely missed. Was that you and Melena in the swimming pool?

Love ya

9:08 AM  
Blogger Maryee said...

Congrats on your dissertation fellowship! Looking forward to following your studies and successes. I didn't know Aya was your sister. Such a sweet family of women.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home