Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Running with Locks!



Go Helga, Go! Very proud to report that I ran and completed my first half-marathon last weekend! It was also to great to be out there representing Black folks. Sadly, there were only about 10 of us (out of over 2000 runners), but I am hoping that I can use my new gig and newfound love of long-distance running to encourage more African Americans to run for f-u-n!

BTW: I am no "exercise person" and I was not particularly fit beforehand. I can't even say that I "enjoy" exercising. But the feeling of crossing a finish line... there is nothing like it!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Congrats on your half!

My ultimate goal is to run a marathon! However I have only ran in a 5K so far. I'm taking baby steps, lol.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Allecia said...

Congrats on your many accomplishments! Finishing a race is always a good feeling.

5:55 PM  
Blogger z said...

I'm so proud of you!!! I remember that feeling of when I completed my first 1/2, because I felt so good and thought that I could run another 1/2, lol! As a runner with locks to another, thanks for representing!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

V: 5k is a great place to start! I still remember when I didn't think I could run more than 2 miles (that wasn't too long ago)! Keep running and you too will be surprised by how quickly your endurance increases.

Allecia: Truly, there is nothing like crossing a finish line (of any type)!

Dewdrop: You are my running inspiration! Seriously! There may be a full marathon in my not too distant future...any tips?

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home