Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Monday, October 08, 2007

Ole!






The entire crowd was full of anticipation just waiting to find out where we decided to spend our fall vacation. Here is a BIG (and very attractive) hint:



Viva Espan-ya!



As an undergraduate student I had the opportunity to participate in the Education Abroad Program to Madrid, Spain. This was the first time I had left the US (that Saturday night in Tijuana doesn't count...). Well, since then I have a very special affinity to Spain, and I have been blessed with the opportunity to visit again with two queridas amigas.





During that year I lived in Spain I never attended a bullfight. I am a student of literature so I have read a great deal about authors' particular interest in the sport. I also know that many African American authors see a relationship between certain aspects of Spanish culture (the bullfight, flamenco, and duende) and African American approaches to expressive art. I studied Spanish dance/ballet (sevillanas, flamenco) and after seeing an actual bullfight yesterday, alot of those things made more sense to me (even Picasso's paintings of the corrida/bullfight).

There is no way to deny the brutality of the sport (I have not posted the more graphic pictures). We also saw a bullfighter be tossed and gouged (twice) by the bull. It is no joke, the fighters really do look into death as they meet a bull in the ring. The pageantry of the event was extraordinary, and the way the bullfighters move... well, we needed a drink after....

5 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

Glad you're having fun!

I don't think I could manage sitting through a bullfight.

What else are you doing in Spain? Do they really have dinner at midnight? If so, they're my kinda people!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW...Is all I can say..

3:42 PM  
Blogger muslimahlocs said...

ole back at you. i love madrid too. it is one of the cleanest places that i have ever visited. i did not have the stomach for a bullfight though.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Wow indeed! I hear much of Spanish culture originated from Moors (African) people. I think maybe that is why the cultures seem similar. Good Post!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

Hey Sis: I am so jealous. I wish so much to be able to get away. Oh well. Looks like you are having a great time. Who is the other gal in the picure? I recognise Rhina. How was the bullfight?

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home