Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Self-Portraiture

Ladies, I was very flattered when the wonderful department I am affiliated with this year invited me to be included in their newsletter. The move to this university has been fantastic in every way, and it is great to actually feel like the people you are working with are happy to have you around....

Well, I was told that this newsletter circulates nationally, and since I am going on the job market, this is a really good way for people to find out who I am and what I do.....

....also, it is a way for single, straight, men of color with PhDs to check me out! I'm just saying.....

I am a serious academic ;-)

Anyway, all this meant that I needed to submit a headshot, something that junior academics like myself don't have lying around. Although I have been trying to keep up with the fabulous photographic genius featured on many of your blogs (especially the Brunsli), I am a slow learner. I quickly deleted many of the really bad mistakes (I have an earlier post that talks about photography, lighting, and locks), but I'll share some of the day's pics.

So this is the first one. It is not a horrible picture, but the problem for me is the blouse. I bought that top when I had long braid extensions that were chocolate brown in color. I put on the red necklace in the photo to break up the color, but this look is not conveying what I want. I think this picture says "young academic trying to look mature."


Although the round neck is an obvious improvement in the photo below, this picture is ALL nose! This is probably the biggest problem that I have with self-portraits, my nose is centered in the photo. Now I have worked very hard at accepting my features (oh how those kids teased me for my hair, lips, and nose! Man, integration aint easy!). Anyway, I would love to hear tips about how to figure out the camera positioning to avoid shooting these nosey photos!


In this picture I look shocked, like I still can't believe they gave me that fellowship. Again, the wrong look to accomplish both of my goals...


In this picture I have that 'crazy' eye, like I would stalk those single, straight, men of color with PhDs (and active Christians).



This one is the winner (don't offer alternative opinions...), I think I look young, smart, hip, and ready to party at the next conference (but in an intellectually sophisticated kind of way)! Obviously I am teasing (sort of... ;-)



And now for three gorgeous brainiacs who need no help with their headshots:

13 Comments:

Blogger muslimahlocs said...

your eyebrows look great in each shot. I'm not sure if that is the first thing that a guy would notice, after your intelligence of course but i noticed. And let me tell your nose looks perfect on your face; God does not make mistakes.

5:08 PM  
Blogger ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Hi there,
your hair is looking good, nice photos.
I am in my 5th month and really enjoying the freedom of sisterlocks.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

Oh Sis, what beautiful pictures. And yes, the one you chose is a winner. Hey I didn't know you were going through that kind of emotionial trauma in school. Well, you will have the last laugh. So many of em are trying to get those beautiful full lips that you so well display. And don't let me get started on those gorgeous and flattering eyes you have. the nieces are tooooo cute. Glad you posted them.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Although you are beautiful and I have not seen a bad pic yet, I think a side profile shot would be beautiful or one with you laughing/showing that pretty smile. Also, your daughter might be able to help. Some of the cutest pics are the ones kids take...

10:38 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

You see, this is the reason that they should never allow fewer than 5 students of color in one classroom! Y'all are the best! I love my nose too...

muslimahlocs: Thanks for the complements on the brows. I shaved them off as a kid after watching my sister Aya and her friend plucking their brows in the bathroom. Since then they have never grown very thick. I did have to do a little maintenance before taking the pictures, but with a mini-razor/groomer rather that tweezers (I was in that big of a hurry).

ja stu: keep enjoying the journey, there are new changes all the time!

aya: Thanks, you are a sweetie! I love having the last laugh....

naturally sophia: ya, all the bad pics are for me to laugh at in private! Thanks for the tips, and yes, my daughter is a great photographer!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MMMM... perhaps a bit more (natural) light, and a different background? I get my best results with afternoon light, like around 4 pm, flash off, and standing in front of a window. Perhaps a blue background would be good, too.

I don't know how it is in academia, but most of the big wigs in my office are smiling for the "mug shots" they have to submit for the annual reports and such. Just a thought (or two). Locks aer looking great!!!

1:00 PM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

I am amazed at how self-critical we can be (MY VERY OWN SELF included). I have never once thought that your nose looked big in ANY of your pictures!

And I don't think so now, even though you said...

I agree with Sophia. I would like to see your smile AND kids take great photos. Just put on some happy music and have a photo shoot. Let your daughter take a bunch of photos.

Some of them will be goofy and not usable for your headshot, but you might surprise yourself to find that a few of them are really good. You might have just one that gives your current winner a run for the money!

And you know what? Doesn't matter about color. Kids can still be cruel. Even in my classes that were racially mixed I still got teased about SOMEthing.

I don't consider myself extra dark-skinned and wouldn't be upset if I was, but I was always the darkest kid in my elem classes.

(It was a small school and it was the SAME 4 of us in grades 3 - 7.)

And whenever we got into spats about anything, their first 'below the belt' comment would be about me being dark.

I was always more indignant that they were backwards enough to consider a chocolate complexion an insult than hurt by it. It made me sad for them even then.

It was like: you DO realize that we're ALL black right?

If this was pre-civil rights you would have been at the back of the bus with me and drinking from the colored-only fountain.

If this was slavery times, the 2 shades lighter you are would not have made you free...

Don't even get me started on the time we were studying slavery and my proudly 'high yellow' social studies TEACHER said in front of the whole class that someone her complexion would have been a house slave and pointed to ME as an example to the class of what a field slave would look like....

Oh yeah, there was a parent/teacher/principal conference after that one!

But this isn't about me, it's about you.

I think you look beautiful in every one of the pics, although I know how it is to have a certain ideal in mind about what you want to convey.

Not that the one you chose isn't lovely, but none of the others are as inferior as you seem to think by comparison, either.

And your locks ARE looking lovely!

4:48 PM  
Blogger brunsli said...

All of the photos are great -- I think the one you picked is perfect. As funny as it sounds, academic things are great ways to meet men. ;) Strange men, but men nonetheless!

If you're where I think you are, a friend of mine from college is joining your department soon. :) I am so thrilled for her, as she's coming from a very chilly place as is originally from LA.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see a bad pic either and your choice was a good one.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lmao at the commentary! Especially the one that showed "stalker" potential.

The pics look great and I think you chose the right one as well.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like your pictures. We are so hard on ourselves. The color of your necklace against your skin is a beautiful choice.
I think all my pictures look like they were taken through a fish eye lens. I think the auto lens are set for a six foot distance or so. You could get a mini-tripod. I still haven't figured out how to use the timer on my camera though...I think having your daughter take your picture is a good idea. And don't be afraid to crop your pictures, I've reframed some so-so shots and made them very interesting.
And those girls are just beautiful.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

sunsail: Ya, I have noticed alot of people smiling in their headshots, or holding their cats.... I would actually like to be a better photographer, so thanks for the tips. I took those photos with (what I thought was) alot of natural background light, no flash, and a dark tan background. I will keep experimenting.

Hey, even Oprah had to suffer for years before she found professionals who knew how to light Black folks!

blackrussian: Thank you for your comments, and yes I agree with you! You are also correct to point out how 'color' (irregardless the shade) is always pointed out as 'different,' leaving 'whiteness' as the un-named, default category for 'normative,' standard, etc. No matter what, The shift to sisterlocks was part of my own journey of self-acceptance, self-indulgence, and self-esteem!

brunsli: I can't guess who this person may be, is she joining as faculty or as a researcher? Does she have a Caribbean connection?

meikmeika: You are too kind! Thanks.

tra: thanks, alot of what I said was, of course, tongue-in-cheek...

renea: Yes, a more talented photographer also told me about cropping. She too is trying to get me to the next level!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Coolbabe said...

love your blog... u got nice eyes too

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home