Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Friday, August 17, 2007

Coming (Back) To America...



Sorry, I stopped updating my blog while I was away. I actually began producing good material on my dissertation chapter, and I couldn't upload pictures during the second leg of my trip.

To wrap up: I saw lots of locks while in Oslo, but of course, the day I took my camera to capture pictures of all those gorgeous styles, I only saw blonde 80s-style hairdos!

I also tried to capture images of the 'ethnic scene' in Oslo, but I felt foolish taking pictures of other people of color on the street...

I did get some shopping in, and, follower as I am, I bought a pair of peg-legged jeans (don't judge me ;-)

The last week of my trip was spent on 'The Continent' (as the Europeans say), in Germany. My diva sister lives their with her two stunning kids. I also think that my sis has the best head of organic locks in the country (no bias of course).


I also had the chance to complete another braid job while there, this time, on my fabulous niece.

My hair grew alot on this trip! It couldn't have been because of the stress, but apart from lots of new growth, my hair was incredibly dry after a month away. More updates on the hair will follow swiftly...

8 Comments:

Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

How beautiful the kids are! I love your shoes, and your sister's locs are fierce. You seem like you had a blast. Good post.

7:29 AM  
Blogger muslimahlocs said...

hey helga. welcome back. thanks for including a picture of "my people". what an adventure! i have only heard "the continent" used to refer to africa so i will have to add that hew reference to my vocabulary the next time that i am on the "other continent". so peg-legged jeans are in again? i am totally out of the fashion loop on that one.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Lexus Prefect said...

The kids are so cute! Love your shoes!

Lexus Prefect

7:17 PM  
Blogger Lexus Prefect said...

The kids are so cute! Braid job awesome! So you bought jeans?? Where's my chocolate?

Lexus Prefect

7:18 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Thanks folks!

Ya, I think the reference to 'the continent' probably got established to distinguish European countries from their colonies (but I am only guessing....).

I love shoes too, this may be my downfall...

I did bring ALOT of chocolate back with me...

9:52 PM  
Blogger Aya said...

Hey Sis, the pictures of the nieces and nephew are too cute. We are a blessed family. That picture of Sandra looks similar to a picture of me taken in my car with my sl's. I'm with Lexus Prefect, "where's my chocolate?" Oh yeah, Britt ate it all at mom's house (-:

11:03 AM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're in academia? I had a tenure track position back in the day...now I'm on the administrative side.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home