Diary of a Thin Hair Sister

I am right at the beginning of my sisterlocks 'journey' and very pleased and proud that I finally made the decision. Being a tad surprised (shocked?) at my thin hair, I thought that I would chart my progress and share my experience with a community of people both looking to start or already on their sisterlock voyage. (Do not make copies of my photos!!)

Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Date With Helga

Well I was on the couch on Friday night, watching the movie of the week Before Sunrise with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. If you haven't seen the movie, the protagonists meet on a train in Europe, and decide to get off the train (at his destination) in Austria in order to continue their nascent conversation and to test the chemistry developing between them. The catch is that he is to fly back to the States the following morning.

I admit to being the kind of person who makes comments throughout a film, TV program, news report, whatever, and Friday night was no different (even though I am in this house alone). I told the girl not to get off the train. I told her to walk away from that guy (he was so annoying), and I told her not to trust him. I told her so many things, that I realized that if she took my advice, she too would be sitting alone on a couch on a Friday night in a European capital...

So, deciding to do the opposite of what my Super Ego would have me to do, I committed to going out on Saturday.




My 'date' began with a trip to the Nobel Peace Center museum. As you may know, the Nobel Peace Prize is given out here in Oslo (the prize for literature is given out in Stockholm). This is an amazing, state of the art museum built in what used to be a train station. Apart from the permanent collection, there was an exhibit featuring 40 artists from around the world, and their commentary on global warming. Also, there was a fantastic exhibit about the 2006 Peace Prize winner Muhammed Yunus and Grameen Bank who provide small loans and financial counselling to the poorest (mostly women, of course) of Bangladesh. I'll tell you, I was so taken by this man's work, and so angry about the perpetuation of poverty in the US. Yunus said to Fortune Magazine that they ask for no guarantee, no references, etc. Consider this, Grameen Bank has lent out close to 6 billion dollars, and has a repay rate of almost 99%!

Afterwards, I walked around Aker Brygge, the 'boardwalk' of Oslo. As this was a fairly nice day, there were lots of people out. I had a delicious hot dog!


Then, I took myself for champagne and dessert at the great French bakery Pascal (they actually made my wedding cake...the cake was excellent!). Since the hot dog was so cheap, I figured I'd splurge on the champagne (I do watch $40 a Day)! I sat outside and tried to develop some ideas I have for this dissertation chapter, and otherwise tried not to look too uncomfortable on a first date with myself...


Well, the evening hours rollled around, and I knew I would have to take myself for a drink and dancing. This was the scariest part. But, did I mention that I've been working out? I felt good about putting on makeup, tight jeans, these red shoes from Filene's in Boston, and working this braidout! This is about as big as I can get my hair to go, but I thought I looked good.

I read about an old school hip hop show, so I figured that would be a great place to get lost. I wasn't sure what Norwegians meant by 'old school,' but, I haven't been to a good old school show in Cali unless it is jumping off from my own iTunes library! Anyway, these are the lessons I learned about going out alone:

1. Be selective (read point 2).
2. Men are quicker to approach a woman alone (men are sooo shy!), but be careful (I did NOT make eye contact with anyone on the street (read point 3)
3. Making strategic AND effective eye contact is much easier when one is alone in a bar, restaurant, or nightclub.
3. It is easier to get into the club for free when you are alone (even the kindest, flirtiest doormen have trouble slipping in a group of 4 girls).
4. As soon as a good song comes on, get on the dancefloor and enjoy yourself. Hey, you are already in the club alone, stop worrying about what other people think!
5. Don't accept a ride home from a man revealing his handcuffs and discussing his expertise in martial arts. Scary!
6. Focus completely on your good time

PS. By the time I got home (3am), I realized that I am totally over the club scene...

13 Comments:

Blogger brunsli said...

What a fun day and evening!

Glad you splurged on the Champagne! Sitting in a European capital, sipping bubbly, and planning out a chapter sounds so romantic. [Especially compared to gloves & goggles in a lab!]

I feel the same way about clubbing. It takes me about an hour to realize why I don't do it anymore.

4:55 PM  
Blogger blackrussian said...

Well, you looked awfully cute on your date. LOVE the earrings.

5:44 PM  
Blogger muslimahlocs said...

your hair looks really cute and i love the shoes. so tell me about locks in norway. do you see many people with locks? if so, are they of african descent or other? where are most of the africans from? do you see any muslims? have you been to a mosque over there? and so on.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Brunsli: Yes, I am definitely getting used to life on a fellowship. Now if I could only produce that completed chapter...

Blackrussian: Thanx a bunch for the complements. BTW, those earrings have been a hit, and if people only knew that I bought them for 4 bucks at H&M...

Muslimahlocs: Thanx to you too, and yes, I have actually intended to blog about natural hair here in Norway. There are people with locks here, some Norwegian blondes, but many more of African descent. Africans in Oslo come moslty from Zaire, Ethiopia, Somalia, Gambia, Senegal, and Ghana. I don't know which group is in the majority (but my guess would be those from Zaire). Until recently, the focus of immigration and assimilation debates in Norway was the Pakistani. Now, the city is very different and the amount of diversity is much greater than I remember from just 7 years ago. There are muslims in Oslo and earlier there was the usual debates here as well especially about women and 'hijab.' I myself have not been to a mosque, but I promise to wander the streets this week and take some photos around the city.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Naturally Sophia said...

Seems like you had fun! I wish I was traveling somewhere interesting! Anyway you look cute. I have a similar pair of earrings. And I love your eyes. They are modelesque and kinda hazelish. Sorry too much attn to detail.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Lexus Prefect said...

What an awesome date! Kudos for you "clubbing" alone! I remember my first experience...it was like the first time I went to the movies and ate at a restaurant alone empowering, scary all at the same time - the "mind" conversations were amusing...lol Love your shoes! Boston + shopping = hella fun! So,North Sea Europe has more african descent people than the last time we visited? You must meet and inquire what they think of the country, especially the cold winters! Congrats on getting out there and enjoying yourself!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Aya said...

Oh Sis, you were "all the way live" in your hoop earrings and red shoes. Did you meet anyone worth noting? You are so brave to go out on the dance floor ALONE! Oh, and your hair looked sooooo fantastic. And, as usual, I love your writing style.I laughed and laughed.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Helga said...

Naturally Sophia: Keep on, I love your complements! The 'hazel-ish' look may be due to the gold-colored eye-makeup (maybe?), but that was a lovely comment to leave on my blog, especially considering that I was out alone!

Lexus Prefect: From what I gather, alot of the population of African descent laments the often 'covert' ways racism functions in Norway and Norwegians' willful ignorance about domestic racial tensions. They also detest the cold and dark winters (and rainy summers like this one!). Otherwise, they appreciate the high wages and strength of Norwegian currency, and the system of financial redistribution that ameliorates the high taxes people pay here. (As a part-time worker, I paid about 37% in income taxes and sales tax is about 27%. I also gave birth for free, received 52 weeks of paid maternity leave (and a guarantee that I could resume my job afterwards), received a monthly financial contribution to help in caring for my child, and more.

Aya: Thanx sis! I tried to give some hints about my night in my 'observations,' but mostly it was nice to get out, practice flirting (which I am a bit rusty at), and make it home unscathed! We are coming together next time!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

rotflamo!! Oh the irony... must go out by myself... then... i'm so over this. :)Yeah, i can do the club scene once in a blue moon... but i'm quite over that, too. love your outfit!!

see, this is what i need... atrip to get out of my comfort zone...

8:19 AM  
Blogger Magdalena said...

You look gorgeous, of course! Well, at least you had a night to remember!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

What a great way to spend the day!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Maryee said...

Girl, I think I'm gonna have to take myself out on a date in the near future. Somewhere far away!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl you looked Good!!! And it's great you enjoyed yourself.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home